Flower Power

28 Mar

Indian Paintbrush hiding under blooming manzanita bushIt’s that time of year again. When my person is the slowest hiker in the world because all she seems to do is take out her camera.

And when I think she’s finished and we can start moving, she takes it out again.

There are some flowers that bloom around here called Indian Paintbrush. They’re pretty hard to miss when you walk by.

I’ve been lucky though. None of them grow on the trails we usually walk on, and I can usually distract my person when we walk by the ones near our trail so she doesn’t notice them.

But you know what those Indian Paintbrushes did?

They smuggled a couple of them right onto my trail and hid them under a Manzanita bush. But even hidden they’re hard to miss because of their bright color.

And my person noticed them.

And then she noticed that those other ones were in bloom. Those ones I told you about that she usually doesn’t notice.

So she had to go off of our trail and get her camera out. And of course she dragged me with her.

Indian Paintbrush

Indian Paintbrush in bloom

But I discovered something about those flowers.

The bushes around those flowers – the ones they tried to hide those paintbrushes under – have some really good smells in them.

Bongo with his nose in a manzanita bush

I hope my person stays here and takes pictures for a long time.

About these ads

Posted by on March 28, 2013 in Bongo, dogs, humor

Tags: , , , , ,

32 responses to “Flower Power

March 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

Your blog was the first place I ever read about Indian Paintbrushes! They are beautiful!
    So this was a lovely walk for both of you!!!
    Your title reminded me of a lovely Stevie Wonder song “Power Flower” from “The Secret Life of Plants”… excellent album btw, I know you’d appreciate it Bongo! :-)

March 28, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Marina, I’ll have to have my person check that song out for me. She wrote it down so she’ll remember.

March 28, 2013 at 11:10 am

Those flowers are kind of pretty. Plus they look a little like spiders. I ate a spider once. Mmmmm….

March 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Cupcake, I’ve never tried eating a spider. I think I might have to check it out. My person says she used to live in a house that got big spiders in the bathtub and she had a cat that would eat them for her so she didn’t have to get them out.

3. Will and Eko

March 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Spring has sprung – enjoy!

March 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Will and Eko, we’re definitely enjoying our wonderful spring weather. Except my person will be getting her camera out for a long time now. It’s flower season.

4. Blueberry's human

March 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Beautiful flowers! Thank you for sharing! Those really put the desert flowers to shame. I’m so jealous!

March 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Blueberry’s human, my person gets jealous when your cactus start blooming. We only have two kinds that bloom here, but you have lots more.

5. FleaByte

March 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Win-win! Those are some mighty pretty flowers.

March 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thanks FleaByte. They were some good sniffs too.

6. Gizmo

March 28, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Momz does the same thing on out hikes…she’s always stopping for pictures…her excuse is that she needs them fur my blog…we have a flower called Indian Paintbrush here too, but it blooms in Fall and looks really different than yours…and we don’t have manzanita but we do have tons of palmetto bushes…i like them cause there’s often an armadillo hiding in them

March 28, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Gizmo, that must be cool having armadillos. I’ve never seen one. We just have squirrels and rabbits around here. Well, there’s other animals but they’re mostly night creatures so I only get to smell them.

7. tylersat99

March 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

So those beautiful Indian Paintbrush flowers turned out to be a good thing for you Bongo. You would have missed all those good smells :)

March 28, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Lexie and Mica, I did benefit for once by my person taking flower pictures. You’re right. I would have missed all those smells.

8. barb19

March 28, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I don’t blame your person wanting to stop to take photos of the Indian Paintbrushes, they are so pretty. Now you like them too Bongo, because you have discovered that the bushes around them have good smells! Enjoy your trail walks.

March 28, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Barb. It was great getting those extra smells without my person trying to drag me away.

9. BZ Dogs

March 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Sounds like a good thing for everyone. Pretty flowers. :)

March 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks BZ. Pretty flowers and great smells.

March 28, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Was it pee mail???

March 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Rumpy, it was definitely pee mail. The best kind of mail there is.

11. Misty Shores Chesapeakes

March 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Those are so beautiful, I have heard of them but never seen them. Your person got some great shots of those little beauties.

March 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Misty Shores. My person loves the color of them. I just like the smells nearby.

12. Two French Bulldogs

March 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm

We know the feeling. Snap, snap, snap, that’s all they do
    Benny & Lily

March 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Benny & Lily, it’s so frustrating sometimes. But next time your person does that check out the smells while she’s busy.

13. kolytyi

March 29, 2013 at 1:20 am

I think you should leave pee-mails when your person stops for taking photos of some flowers. Then, other doggies will read your message and answer it. And, on your next walk, both of them will have a reason to stop by these flowers again and both of them will be happy!

March 31, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Great idea Kolytyi. I’ll leave a pee-mail right on the flower my person is trying to take a picture of.

14. angelswhisper2011

March 29, 2013 at 1:40 am

Bongo, the flowers are very beautiful, but I really wonder if they smell like… flowers :)

March 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Angels Whisper and Little Binky, those flowers don’t smell like much at all. Maybe if it rains on them you can use them to paint things a red orange color though.

March 29, 2013 at 7:42 am

Those Indian Paintbrushs are so beautiful and also very misterious! I’m sorry about that time of year because of these flowers Bongo, but we truly enjoy looking at flower pictures which your person take!! Because there are some flowers we’ve never seen here!
    Happy Good Friday Bongo! :)

March 31, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Kevin, we do have some different flowers here. I bet you’ve got some I haven’t seen either. I missed saying Happy Good Friday back to you – my person has been very busy – so I’ll say Happy Easter to you instead.

16. dianeskitchentable

March 30, 2013 at 7:53 am

Those paintbrush flowers are really pretty – going to be a long time before we see any here.

March 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Diane, by the time you start seeing your flowers we’ll probably be wishing the weather would cool down.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,087 other followers