No Treats for Anybody

08 Dec
"Rich man and poor Lazarus" (1865). ...

“Rich man and poor Lazarus” (1865). Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

You mean there are dogs in this Bible story?

Did that man in the last story give them treats?

Oh. He didn’t know them? I thought everyone in the Bible knew each other.

Okay, I’ll listen. I want to hear about the dogs.

***

Jesus said, “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day.”

***

Did the rich man hand out treats?

I am listening.

***

“At the rich man’s gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.”

***

That rich man should hand out treats to Lazarus and the dogs.

***

“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side.”

***

I bet those angels handed out treats.

I’m listening. I just want to know where the treats are. Those dogs are getting hungry.

***

“The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’”

***

They don’t have treats in hell, do they?

***

“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’”

***

Wait! Stop! Don’t give those dogs any treats. I don’t want them to go where that rich man is.

What? I’m not in the story. I don’t have to give up my treats.

***

“The rich man answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

“’No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

***

I guess Lazarus won’t be bringing those brothers any treats.

About these ads

Posted by on December 8, 2013 in Bongo, Dogology, humor

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

8 responses to “No Treats for Anybody

December 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Don’t worry, Bongo, those doggies didn’t go to hell! :-)

December 8, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Marina, that’s good. I feel better already. For me, life without treats would be hell.

December 9, 2013 at 7:07 am

I’m relieved that Lazarus is comforted there, because it must have been so hard to be hungry and sore….I hope that those dogs would be comforted, too.

December 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Kevin, my person says there’s a movie called “All Dogs Go to Heaven.” I’m counting on that.

3. FleaByte

December 9, 2013 at 8:47 am

All dogs go to heaven. That’s a known fact.

December 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

FleaByte, I just mentioned the movie by that name in reply to another comment – then I saw yours. I’m counting on seeing all my dog friends in heaven one day for sure.

4. Mags Corner

December 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Sweet Bongo we hope you got some yummy treats for listening to another great bible story. All good things are in heaven so we bet there will be lots of treats. Hugs and nose kisses

December 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Chancy and Mumsy, I hope I don’t have to wait till I’m in heaven to get lots of treats. Santa’s coming soon. Maybe he’ll bring me a truckload of treats.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,150 other followers