Dog Lapping Heroes

30 Oct

Dog LappingMy person keeps wanting to tell me stories from the Bible and she said this one doesn’t have any animals in it so I’m not sure if I want to hear it. I started to walk away until she told me there were three hundred men in the story who lapped water like dogs, and they were real heroes.

Okay, I’m listening now. If I can do what I do anyway and be a hero I want to know how.

My person said it all started with a dude named Gideon. He was minding his own business threshing wheat in a winepress (I think there’s something wrong with this picture) when the Angel of the Lord came to him and told him he –Gideon – was going to save his people from the Midianites. So now we have a dude and an angel in a winepress surrounded by a bunch of wheat. There’s really something wrong with this picture. Okay, back to that winepress thing – my person said Gideon was hiding in there so the Midianites wouldn’t steal his wheat – they did things like that.

Well Gideon looked at that Angel of the Lord and said, “Who me?”

And the Angel of the Lord said, “Yes, you.”

Gideon said, “Couldn’t be,” and tried to talk his way out of it.

Well that angel wouldn’t go for it, and Gideon knew if he didn’t do something it might just be him and that angel in the winepress and no wheat. He didn’t know if angels got hungry but he sure did, so Gideon got a bunch of guys together and started out after the Midianites. But the Lord told Gideon he had too many dudes, so Gideon let all the scared dudes go home and kept the brave ones. The Lord told Gideon he still had too many and he could only keep the ones who lapped water like a dog. I like those guys, really I do.

Gideon started out with thirty two thousand fighting guys and now he only had three hundred left, and the Lord said that was just right. I guess the Lord knows what He’s talking about, but that Midianite army was bigger than I’d want to tackle with a few dog lapping guys. Well, they waited until it was good and dark and snuck up on the Midianite’s camp. They blew their trumpets and let their torches shine and shouted, “The sword of the Lord and of Gideon.”

You know what? Those Midianites were so scared of those lapping water dudes that they went after each other and then they ran away.

I’d like to chase a whole army away, but when I lap water all I seem to manage to chase away is Scratchy the cat and the dry floor.

Posted by on October 30, 2011 in Bongo, Dogology, humor

Tags: , , , ,

12 responses to “Dog Lapping Heroes

1. 2browndawgs

October 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

That’s a good story Bongo. When we lap water we scare nothing. 😉

the 2 brown dawgs

• BongoDogOwner

October 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Brown dawgs, I don’t know how those guys did it, because I can’t scare anything either. I can’t even scare Scratchy – he hangs out next to me waiting for his turn at my water dish.

October 30, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I think it’s cool that God chose some weird dudes to do His will. He still does ya know.

• BongoDogOwner

October 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Rumpy, you’re right. Sometimes He even chooses you and me.

3. deannamelanie

October 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Love these stories from your perspective, Bongo! I think Harley, Scarlett and Chelsea may just like to hear this tonight.

• BongoDogOwner

October 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm

So glad I could share with Harley, Scarlett, and Chelsea. I hope they enjoy hearing it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

4. sylvia

October 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Hey Bongo

Nice blog…….even i love dogs..:)

• BongoDogOwner

October 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by Sylvia. Glad you enjoyed my blog.

5. sylvia

October 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm

if possible can you add some more Bongos pics????

• BongoDogOwner

October 31, 2011 at 10:46 am

Sylvia, Bongo is so pleased that you want to see more pics of him. There are lots of pics throughout the different posts on his blog. Most days I add a picture of Bongo with his post (although some days Scratchy gets on there – or something else to illustrate the story), but it’s always a challenge taking them. He gets really excited when he sees me get out the camera.

November 1, 2011 at 3:46 am

The tall person says that the sound of my lapping is deafening!!

• BongoDogOwner

November 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

Bassa, I think we’re two of a kind when it comes to lapping.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )