To Bethlehem

18 Dec
English: Joseph and Mary arrive in Bethlehem (...

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from old, from ancient times.”     Micah 5:2

My person promised. She said today’s Bible story will have animals in it – so I’m waiting. She’d better be right or I’m going to erase those words she put on my blog that I didn’t write.

My person says that Joseph eventually got married to Mary – that sounds funny, married to Mary. Okay person. I’ll try to listen, but I’m still waiting for those animals.

Caesar Augustus – he was the head guy of the Roman Empire that ruled over Israel at the time – decided he wanted to have a census. A what? Everyone had to go to his own town to register. My person said that since Joseph was from the line of David – hey I remember David. He started out as a shepherd boy and had lots of animals around him – Joseph had to go to David’s hometown of Bethlehem, and he took Mary with him.

Bethlehem was about eighty miles from Nazareth where Joseph and Mary lived. Mary was about to have a baby so it would have been hard for her to walk that far. My person says she probably rode a donkey.

A donkey! Finally, there’s an animal in the story.

Okay person, I’m listening now. When Joseph and Mary – and the donkey – finally made it to Bethlehem there was no room for them at the inn.

Mary was about to have her baby so she needed someplace to stay. You know what my person said they did? They went and hung out where the animals lived. Mary had her baby and she laid him in a manger. My person said a manger is the thing that the animals eat from.

I hope those animals don’t try to eat that baby by mistake.

Posted by on December 18, 2011 in Bongo, Dogology, humor

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

34 responses to “To Bethlehem

1. Chancy, Mumsy and Crew

December 18, 2011 at 10:45 am

Sweet Bongo we are so enjoying all the stories. We know that baby is a special babe and the animals do nothing but love him. Isn’t this a wonderful story? Hugs and nose kisses

December 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Chancy and Mumsy, I’m really starting to like these stories my person is telling me. Angels, animals, and a baby. What more could there be? Hugs and nose kisses back to you.

December 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

This is one of the most beautiful stories in the Bible! Your person is right, there were lots of animals there with Jesus. This and many other stories give me a lot to ponder about God’s love for not only humans but animals. He was born with animals….. a very important point. 🙂 Lots to think about there….

Great Story and keep up the wonderful posting you do!

God Bless You!

Chuck and the Collies 🙂

December 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Chuck and the Collies, my person says I’m helping her learn more about how God loves not only people, but animals too.

December 18, 2011 at 11:19 am

Jen says that those animals would not hurt that baby…. it’s the humans that baby has to worry about!

December 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Rumpy, I’m sure glad those animals won’t hurt that baby, but my person said she felt like crying when she thought about humans hurting him. I think she knows something that I don’t.

4. sandrabranum

December 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Sorry I forgot the animals and messed it up. Can you please fix it for me Bongo? Thanks.

Jesus

He came to us on that starry night
    Guarded by animals and
    Swaddled by humans.
    To rule the world from Heaven
    and save our souls.
    for being you.

December 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Sandra, my person fixed it and just left the good poem with the animals. Thanks for the poem.

5. lolapup

December 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Stories with animals in them are the best! How great that your person is sharing them with you and your readers.

December 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Lola – stories are much better when they have animals in them.

December 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm

All creatures great and small. Animals are so kind to share – maybe they are setting an example? (Curlie horn. Curlie horn. Almost time for the one with the curlie horn? Sorry, Bongo, it’s one of my favorite songs about Christmas) Jingle on!

December 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Karen, sometimes I think people could learn a few things from us animals – if they’d only pay attention.

7. For the Love of My Dogs

December 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yay, finally some animals!! Bongo, we really enjoy reading your Bible stories 🙂

December 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Deannamelanie. I’m really glad that my person finally got to the part of the story with the animals.

December 19, 2011 at 1:49 am

My lovely four legged friend, you told a lovely story there, and yes there were more animals for in the stable there were sheep and goats that had come in from the field.

I love you Bongo , you are so wonderful..wish that I could meet you but I send my love anyway and I hope that your Christmas will bring you a lovely marrow bone and that your people will have a happy Christmas and a Very Happy New Year

December 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Patreciau, I’m so happy there are animals in the story. I wish I could be there with them. Thanks for your Christmas wishes. My person and I wish you the same back.

9. thesweetkitten

December 19, 2011 at 2:10 am

Don’t worry, Bongo, those animals know that this is a very special baby! I hope you are enjoying this special time of the year!

December 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Sweet Kitten, I glad those animals know how special that baby is. I bet they took good care of him.

10. Higgins

December 19, 2011 at 5:06 am

First time I have sniffed around you blog and LOVE that you are sharing the Christmas story!! Love the stories in the Bible that have both Jesus and animals in them!! :o)

~Higgins

December 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Higgins, thanks for stopping by and commenting. The Bible stories with Jesus and animals in them are the best. My person usually tells me a new story every Sunday.

December 19, 2011 at 6:05 am

Hmmm….the baby Mary gave a birth is Jesus Christ, isn’t it? Then he is very familiar to animals because he must have been surrounded by animals when he was born.
    Wow, I’m getting very excited to know the stories about Bibles!!! 🙂
    What will be the next one? Woof?

December 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Kevin, the baby is Jesus Christ but my person says he didn’t officially get his name until he was eight days old – but that’s another story. I think animals must love him as much as people do – maybe more than some people. My person won’t tell me what the next story is, but she says it will be good.

12. 2browndawgs

December 19, 2011 at 6:13 am

Is a donkey really an animal? 😆

We want to hear more about the other animals. 🙂

the 2 brown dawgs

December 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Brown Dawgs, those donkey are pretty strange animals. My person says there are more animals coming.

13. Bassetmomma

December 19, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thanks for the story Bongo!

December 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Your welcome Bassetmomma. My person loves to tell me these stories so I can put them on my blog.

14. Ralph Kalasunas

December 19, 2011 at 7:59 am

Glad you pointed out that it was the animals who shared their home with the Mary and Joseph when people wouldn’t. Thanks for the story.

Ralph

PS I got here through the Monday Mischief blog hop on Alfie’s page.

December 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ralph, I’m glad you found me. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yes, I think animals can be far more hospitable than people at times.

December 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

It is the greatest story ever told Bongo!

December 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Bassa, my person says it is the greatest story – and I’m so thrilled animals could be a part of it.

16. Laurie Bartolo

December 21, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Bongo, I really enjoy your Bible stories, especially now with animals in the picture. Dogs are my favorite animal, but I also like donkeys. Looking forward to reading more. 🙂

December 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Laurie. I think the Bible stories are really special when they have animals in them.

17. Wayside Artist

December 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Bongo,
    I love this story so much. It gives me goosebumps (do dogs get them?) every year and I get weepy. Must be getting old 🙂 When I was a little girl I didn’t want to be an angel in the Christmas play, but a sheep! The teacher won. The sheep in my creche remain my favorite figures.

December 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Nanina, my person says it’s a very special story for her too. I think I have too much hair to get goosebumps, or at least they don’t show. Being a sheep would probably be one of the next best things to being a dog. Too bad your teacher made you be an angel – although they’re pretty cool too. Merry Christmas!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )