Pricklers

02 Dec

Bongo and a Prickly PearThere are some plants that grow wild around here called prickly pears. The pear part sounds pretty good. I wouldn’t mind eating a few pears. But then there’s that other part. The part that’s called prickly. It’s not by accident that those pears are called prickly. They are full of pricklers. Two kinds of pricklers. Even the pears have pricklers.

There are great big white pricklers. They look pretty nasty. But those aren’t the ones you have to worry about the most. If one of those sticks in you it’s pretty easy to pull out. It’s those little orange pricklers that are the nastiest. They come in clumps and if you brush up against them you don’t get just a prickler or two. You get the whole clump, or at least a good part of it. Those little pricklers don’t come out. You’ve got to use something called tweezers to get at them. And they sting.

I almost got it the other day. I leaned against one of those darn prickly pears without realizing it. My person warned me and then pulled a couple of those pricklers out of my hair. Boy was she lucky I didn’t get any more. She would have had to run home to get the tweezers.

Prickly Pear in Bloom

Prickly Pear in Bloom

Prickly Pear Heart

This cactus looks like it loves you, but I think it wants to lure you close to its pricklers.

Posted by on December 2, 2011 in Bongo, dogs, humor

Tags: ,

47 responses to “Pricklers

1. lolapup

December 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’ve gotten some of those tiny orange pricklers in my paws. They do sting. Ouch! My person likes the heart-shaped cactus picture.

December 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Lola, those pricklers are definitely nasty. We’ve got to be careful. That heart shaped cactus was pretty cool. We don’t see them like that very often.

2. Dianda

December 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Ouch! Better be careful with those.

December 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Dianda, I don’t get into them much, but my person says she used to have some cats who didn’t know how to stay away from them.

December 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

There are things in the garden Bongo that can really hurt, pricklers is one but grass seed is the other. If you get them caught in your toes or your ears it can be very painful and then you may need to go to the vet…so please dear friend do be careful.

Did you see that I nominated you with an award today, now you will have more than me

December 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Patreciau, I guess I’m lucky that there’s not much grass where I live. We have cinders in our yard and sometimes they hurt when I step on them wrong, but they don’t get stuck. Thanks for the award nomination. I stopped by your blog to check it out.

4. Lindy MacDuff

December 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm

OUCH! I know those hurt, but what’s even more prickly and ouchy are those darn cholla cactus. They cling to our shoes sometimes and then catch on the rugs without our realizing it until we’re walking around barefoot in the house and step on them. Makes a person see stars! Be careful Bongo. What amazes me about those prickly pear cactus is that the javelina eat them. Do you think they use the long thorns for toothpicks? 🙂

Nice pictures that your person is showing us today. That is the *best* heart shaped prickly pear pad I’ve seen.

December 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Lindy, are the cholla the cactus the ones that jump out and attack you? We don’t have those where I live. We’re too high up for them. But the javelina do eat the prickly pear here. They must use those long thorns for toothpicks ’cause I always wondered how they keep from getting the pricklers stuck in their mouths. That heart prickly pear was pretty cool. We don’t see them like that very often.

5. Laurie Bartolo

December 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Oh Bongo, be careful with the prickly stuff. We used to live in New Mexico and we had lots of prickly stuff there too. I’ve had to pull pricklers out of Daisy’s snout a number of times, and I felt horrible for her. I would hate for your person to have to do that for you!

December 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Lindy, my person says when she used to have cats that she let outside she would have to pull pricklers out of them quite often. She says the worst was with an orange cat because the pricklers were the same color. I’m usually pretty good about staying away from them and since my person keeps me on a leash she is always watching out for me too.

December 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Ouch!!! The Collies say they do not like those! They looked around to make sure there are none of those in their yard and asked if there are any where we go for walks. They are safe I told them…. 🙂 Great post!!!

December 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Collies, I would be glad to share some of my prickly pears with you, but it doesn’t sound like you’re interested.

7. For the Love of My Dogs

December 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Ouch Bongo, sounds like those little orange ones are bad. Glad your person didn’t have to tweeze ya. I love both the Prickly Pear and the heart-shaped cactus– they are beautiful! We never see any cactus in Miami so we’re glad we get to see your pretty pictures!

December 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Deanna, my person says cactus have good and bad things about them. They can prick you, but many of them have beautiful flowers when they bloom. I’m not sure I care about the flowers, unless they’re good for eating.

8. Nel

December 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

When I saw the pictures you’ve posted, I thought, “Oh how pretty!” And then I read through your post and saw the line “pretty nasty.” 🙂

I hope you stay safe along those prickly trails, Bongo.

December 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Nel, my person says they are pretty – as long as you don’t touch them.

9. 2browndawgs

December 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Yikes! We don’t like the sound of those kinds of pears.

the 2 brown dawgs

December 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Brown Dawgs, people actually eat the fruit – which also has pricklers – but you have to be very careful.

10. tbnranch

December 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I know them well! I have a great way to get all those little red prickly things out. Seems you can tweeze away and still not get them all. Use a piece of duct tape and place it over the area, when you pull off the tape all those nasty invisible pricks are stuck to it! Cool idea huh? There ya go, my secret tip from the dog salon!

December 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Amy, I never thought of using duct tape. Great idea.

11. Chancy, Mumsy and Crew

December 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Yep, sweet Bongo you gotta watch out for those prickly things. We have some of those and Mumsy moved them outside the fence so we wouldn’t run into them when we run and play in the yard. They have such pretty flowers on them. Hugs and nose kisses

December 2, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Chancy and Mumsy, at least we don’t have any pricklers in our yard – at least not the really bad kind. We have yucca and they’re really pokey. I just have to be careful on our trails. There’s lots of them there. Glad yours are outside your fence. Hugs and nose kisses back to you.

12. Terri Jacobson

December 3, 2011 at 12:51 am

Those do look quite prickly for a doggie. But the flowers are beautiful.

December 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Terri, thanks for stopping by and commenting. My person says she loves the prickly pears when they’re in bloom, but I just prefer to stay far away.

13. Flo

December 3, 2011 at 12:56 am

They look mean… we have prickly pears here, they’re introduced and are a class B weed which has to be controlled thank goodness – not so much chance of us running into it, except in someone’s garden. I REALLY don’t like the sound of those little orange prickles. I can only imagine the joy of having to pull them out of a cat!

H and Flo

December 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Flo, my person says when she had to pull the pricklers out of her cats they were always cooperative. I guess they knew it would hurt less if they let her do it.

14. puzzle

December 3, 2011 at 1:58 am

But they look beautiful. In Spain, I saw farmers plant such hedges of Opuntiae around the pastures, instead to fence them in by wire.

December 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Puzzle, the prickly pears are beautiful – just nasty. My person says a lot of people plant them in their yards, but the de-prickle them.

15. bonesdiary

December 3, 2011 at 2:58 am

You can’t blame the fruit for growing spikes, who wants to get chewed up? But now I know what to get that cat for christmas……..

December 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Bones, you made me laugh – I could send you some prickly pears for your cat. As a matter of fact, maybe I’ll bring some in the house for Scratchy.

December 3, 2011 at 3:58 am

Be careful Bongo. You don’t want those stuck in your nose! 🙂

December 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Bassa, I’ve got to watch out for those pricklers, but I think I’m pretty safe on the nose thing. Nobody puts their scent on them because if they got too close that could really be nasty.

December 3, 2011 at 6:24 am

Oh Bongo, please be careful! Although the Prickly Pear’s blooms are so beautiful, the thorns look very sharp! Wow, the heart shaped cactus is pretty!!! 🙂

December 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Kevin, those pricklers really are pretty pokey. I don’t pay much attention to their looks, but my person says she thinks they’re very pretty.

December 3, 2011 at 10:34 am

Oh Dog! Jen says I would probably have a nose filled with prickles if those were near here. I am as curious as a cat.

December 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Rumpy, if you ever come to visit I guess I’ll have to watch you close until you learn what to stay away from.

19. sandrabranum

December 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Gosh Bongo, I MUST be getting in the Christmas Spirit because the whole time I kept reading your post I thought of “Miracle on 34th St” where Kris Kringle gets the bubblegum stuck in his beard and has to tweezer it out.

December 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Wow Sandra, I’m not sure what would be worse – cactus pricklers or bubblegum.

20. life is a bowl of kibble

December 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I got into a prickly pear bush/plant yesterday. I backed into it. No one was with me and I could not get them all out until I jumped in my car’s backseat to remove my pants. I finally got them all. Not fun

December 3, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Ouch Kibble! How embarrassing and painful. Those things are no fun.

December 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Owie. Those hurt. (especially around the ankles) When it’s really dry in the pastures here, ranchers take blow torches and burn off the stabbing pricklers so livestock can eat the scorched prickly pears – and get a little water while they munch. The thornless variety are less trouble, but if you plant them, they spread like crazy. Take care, Bongo!

December 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Karen, I wonder if someone would come and blow torch all the pricklers on my trails. That would be pretty cool. My person says lots of people here have the thornless kind in their yards, but all the wild ones have pricklers.

22. pippadogblog

December 6, 2011 at 4:01 am

We have those in our garden of all places. I give them a wide berth.

Pippa

December 6, 2011 at 11:50 am

Pippa, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Pricklers in the garden could be nasty. The worse I have in my yard are yuccas which are very pokey, but at least they don’t stick in you.

23. Tylersat99

January 2, 2012 at 2:32 am

Bongo those really look mean, i glad you only got a couple. I know you and Mom are very careful bit try to stay totally away from 😦

January 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

Tylers, those prickly pear cactus are all over the area where my trails are, so I have to be very careful sometimes.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )