Hanging with Sheep

27 Nov
David anointed by Samuel

My person said she wanted to tell me about a person in the Bible named David and she thought I’d probably like him. When I asked her why she said that he started out as a shepherd and he probably had shepherd dogs to help him with the sheep. I like this guy already.

My person told me that David grew up in the town of Bethlehem and that even though he lived about a thousand years before, he had a lot to do with another person who started out in Bethlehem around a lot of animals. I asked my person who and she said that’s another story and we’ll get to it soon.

That’s okay, I want to hear about David and his shepherd dogs.

Well, my person said one day when David was out with his sheep a prophet named Samuel came to his father’s house. Samuel had been told by God to go to David’s father Jesse’s house and anoint one of Jesse’s sons as king. David had seven older brothers and Samuel thought that some of them looked like likely candidates to be king, but God told Samuel it didn’t matter what people looked like. He was more interested in their heart.

I’m sure David had a good heart because he was good to animals. Anyway, my person said that Samuel must have been perplexed (what kind of a word is that?) because God told him that He had not chosen any of the sons that were there. Samuel asked Jesse if he had any more sons and Jesse told him his youngest was out tending the sheep.

They called for David and when he came God told Samuel he was the one. David not only had a good heart, he was handsome too.

My person said when Samuel anointed David king there was already another king named Saul, so David didn’t get to be king right away. She said David had lots of adventures because of Saul but for now he got to go back and be with the sheep. How cool is that? A king that likes hanging out with his sheep.

Posted by on November 27, 2011 in Bongo, Dogology, humor

Tags: , , , , , ,

22 responses to “Hanging with Sheep

1. sandrabranum

November 27, 2011 at 11:23 am

Wow Bongo. I just love the way you tell those Bible stories, and from the Doggy Hotel no less!

November 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Thanks Sandra, telling the stories gives me something to do at the dog hotel.

2. 2browndawgs

November 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

That is a great story Bongo. 🙂

November 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Thanks Brown Dawgs. I like the stories with animals in them.

3. Writing Sisters

November 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Great blog, Bongo. We love the dog’s point of view.

November 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Writing Sisters, thanks for stopping by. I love telling these stories – especially when my person tells me the stories with animals in them.

4. Patricia

November 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Very insightful, Bongo.

November 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Patricia.

5. Chancy, Mumsy and Crew

November 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Sweet Bongo we are really enjoying the Bible stories. Hugs and nose kisses

November 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Chancy and Mumsy, glad you are enjoying them. My person likes telling them to me. Hugs and nose kisses back to you.

November 28, 2011 at 3:53 am

Hi! Great story and I told it to my collies. They loved it since they are herding dogs. 🙂 They told me that David had collies too! I reminded them that in the Bible it also says not to lie…… They responded with telling tall tales is a Scottish tradition and is not lying…. sigh.. Collies! Great Blog and I love your Bible stories! 🙂

November 28, 2011 at 10:16 am

Collies, I bet David had collies and dogs like me too.

7. Alfie - Alfie's Blog

November 28, 2011 at 5:21 am

I got distracted as soon as you mentioned sheep and I wanted to go help herding them! :o)

November 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

Alfie, I bet you’d have fun herding sheep. My person says I probably wouldn’t be any good at it because I’d want to spend my time playing with the sheep.

November 28, 2011 at 6:45 am

Hi Bongo!!! *wagging tail* That’s great to hear about nice story from Bible! As I told on Rumpy’s blog, we don’t have much knowleage about Bible because we don’t learn it, but this is really interesting way to understand!
    Me too! David must be wonderful person because he was hanging our with animals!
    Thanks for telling!!! 🙂

November 28, 2011 at 10:26 am

Hi Kevin. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I think David is a pretty cool guy too. I saw your comment on Rumpy’s blog about the Bible. My person likes to tell me Bible stories and I’ve been sharing them on my blog on Sundays (which is probably Monday where you are). I only let her tell me stories with animals in them.

9. Snoopy@snoopysdogblog.com

November 28, 2011 at 8:39 am

Great story Bongo,

Mum said the David in the story reminded her of her brother David who was also a great person!! I loved that he got to hang out with the Sheep – I’d love to do that!! Yay!!

Have a fun day buddy,

Your pal Snoopy 🙂

November 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

Snoopy, hanging out with the sheep would be pretty cool, wouldn’t it? Your mum’s brother David must be a great person if he’s like the David in the story.

10. jimmie chew

November 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

that was a very nice story B.

November 28, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks Jimmie Chew.

November 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Can you imagine if something like that happened today? If God sent a prophet to anoint the next president?

November 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Rumpy, that would be something – a president anointed by God’s prophet. I wonder what people would say?

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )