Depend on God

01 Jul

Depend on God dog craftCheck this craft out that my person is doing with her Sunday school kids. Isn’t it cool? I think they should do this craft every week. It’s the best craft ever.

D.O.G. stands for me and it also stands for Depend On God. Hey person, since I’m a dog does that mean I depend on God all the time? If I depend on God will He give me one of those big bones like the dog in the craft has?

I can depend on God for a big bone.

What? I’m supposed to what?

Oh yeah, I’m supposed to be listening to a Bible story now.

They had battles in the Bible? Are they exciting?

Oh, I get it. When people depended on God He helped them win the battles. Did they give their dogs big juicy bones when they won?

Okay, I’ll listen.

King Asa was a king of Judah who depended on God. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and commanded Judah to seek the Lord. They had peace in the land and were able to build up and fortify their cities and towns, and to prosper.

King Asa had an army of three hundred thousand men and they all had large shields and spears.

That sounds pretty scary. I bet no one could beat them.

What happened? Zerah the Cushite marched out against them with an even bigger army and three hundred chariots? Oh no!

Asa must have been pretty brave because he went out to meet that big old army and took up battle positions.

What’s going to happen, person?

I am listening.

Asa called out to the Lord his God and asked for help against that big army. And you know what?

The Lord struck down those mean old Cushites and they ran away. And Asa and his army chased them and got lots of plunder.

What’s plunder? Is that like big, juicy bones?

I’m hungry now, person.

They did what? They attacked the herdsmen’s camps and carried off sheep, goats, and camels.

Wow! I bet they needed lots of shepherd dogs to help bring those sheep back. It’s a good thing they got all those juicy bones.

Posted by on July 1, 2012 in Bongo, Dogology, humor

Tags: , , , , , , ,

23 responses to “Depend on God

July 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

It is a good thing that you tell us these stories. I did not know this story….I do hope that someone???? will find you a bone!

July 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Patreciau, my person says not many people know this story. It’s in an obscure part of the Bible – in 2 Chronicles. I’m still looking for a bone. Maybe it’s hiding in an obscure place.

2. Chancy and Mumsy

July 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

Love the craft, so cute!! Yep, sweet Bongo we can depend on God and He always shows up just at the right time. Another great story! Hugs and nose kisses

July 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Chancy and Mumsy. God’s pretty good to me – except I’m still looking for a bone.

• Chancy and Mumsy

July 1, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Keep the faith sweet Bongo and surely that bone will come.

July 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I’m still waiting Chancy and Mumsy – but right now I’m trying to get my person off the computer so she’ll take me for a walk.

• Chancy and Mumsy

July 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Enjoy your walk.

3. Bobbie Rae

July 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm

A wonderful craft and a wonderful story. One of my dogs brought home a nice big bone the other day from my neighbor’s cattle farm; I’m sharing it carefully with everyone – hope you get your bone; and would your person share her template for the D.O.G. craft? Thanks!

July 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Bobbie Rae, my person says the craft came from Oriental Trading, but she just looked online and it doesn’t look like they carry it any more. She says she was just going through some old stuff and found it. If you want to email her at laurapratt115@gmail.com with an address she says she’ll be glad to send you one you can copy. She has some left over. I’m still waiting for my bone though. Maybe if I email my person she’ll send me one.

4. Misty Shores Chesapeakes

July 1, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Ah yes what a great reminder that we should always depend on God and have faith he is in control not us. I look forward to these Sunday stories Bongo, what a great person you have to share them.

I would love to do that craft with my church children do you think your person would share the pattern and instructions?

July 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Thanks Misty Shores. My person says the craft came from Oriental Trading but she just checked online and it doesn’t look like they carry it anymore. She was looking through some old stuff at church and found it. She has some extras and says if you email her at laurapratt115@gmail.com with your address she’ll send you one so you can get the pattern off of it.

• Misty Shores Chesapeakes

July 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Oh that would be so wonderful, I know my kids would love it. They all know how much I love God and dogs!

July 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Its amazing what can happen when we depend upon God isnt it? We love reading the battles of Israel and Judah especially when the Army of the Lord comes marching in through the trees. The collies say their ancestors were helping herd all those sheep, but they tell lots of tall tales which I remind them that tall tales are not good to tell… LOL…. Great post!!!! 🙂 God BLess You! 🙂

July 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Collies, I don’t know why your person doesn’t believe you. Of course your ancestors were helping herd all those sheep. My person doesn’t believe me half the time either.

6. Heather Whitley Gibson

July 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This cracked me up! Have you herd” of the breed of dog that comes from the Israelian Army?
    A great post without “preaching” humor!

July 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Thanks Heather. A friend told me about a breed called Canaan dogs. Are those the ones from the Israeli Army or are there others? Pretty cool that they have their own dogs.

July 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Wow!!! How cute the craft is, Bongo!!! And a great story! God is so kind to if you depend on him! Although I’m not a religious dog, I think that your stories always very make sense!!! Thanks so much, Bongo! 🙂

July 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Kevin, I’m so glad you enjoy the stories – and the craft. I think my person should always have dog crafts in her class.

8. Sugar Sima

July 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Woof! Woof! Oh how CUTE. Lots of Golden Thanks for sharing. Lots of Golden ALOHA n Woofs, Sugar

July 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Sugar – and thanks for the Golden Aloha Woofs. Much better than our hot Arizona woofs right now.

9. angelswhisper2011

July 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Bongo, the craft is very cute and now I know what the meaning of D.O.G. is. I hope you’ll get your big bone soon 🙂

July 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Angels Whisper, I guess I’ll have to Depend on God for my bone to show up.

July 3, 2012 at 3:08 am