What Does a Mantis Pray?

24 Jul

Praying MantisWhen my person and I came back from our walk we found a mantis over our front door praying for us. I don’t know what a mantis is, but apparently they like to pray a lot. At least this one does because my person says it is a praying mantis.

It’s pretty cool having an insect that’s willing to hang out on top of our front door and pray. I guess that means everyone that walks through the door is blessed.

But what do insects pray for? Is it praying for me and my people, or is it praying for something for itself?

Maybe it’s praying for a little bug to fly into its waiting arms and become its next meal.

Or maybe its praying that no one will spray bug repellant around the door.

It might even be praying that it learns how to make a vase like those ants did the other day and someone will put flowers in it.

Whatever that mantis is praying for I hope it will put in one little prayer for me.

Please, oh please pray that I don’t have to sit in my “Oh no, there’s thunder” pose again.

Bongo in the Hallway Facing a Door

Posted by on July 24, 2012 in Bongo, dogs, humor

Tags: , , ,

34 responses to “What Does a Mantis Pray?

1. angelswhisper2011

July 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Bongo, that mantis is really big. I hope he’ll hear your wish. Hang in there!

July 24, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Angels Whisper, that praying mantis left and we had more thunder. I don’t think it is very good at praying.

2. home

July 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Wow, what a big mantis! I hope it blesses everyone that comes and goes from your home, and brings you good luck. I am sending some cyber hugs and loves your way.

July 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Thank you Susan. Praying mantises get pretty big. Did you see my person’s email that she finally read your book?

• home

July 25, 2012 at 6:58 am

Praying mantises dont get that big here. I did see the email, Bongo, I just have been so busy continuing writing to answer! I am so happy your person liked the story. Tell her she is welcome to try the rest as well, lol. I really should stop the writing just long enough to get letters out.

Hugs to yourself and your person.

July 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

Susan, my person says writing takes up lots of time. I’m lucky though because she considers her walks with me as part of her writing time.

3. themisadventuresofmisaki

July 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I think its definitely praying no more thunder 🙂

July 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Misaki, I think it needs to pray harder because we just had another great big thunderstorm today.

July 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm

That is one big bug! Ugh. Hopefully, he has a BIG prayer to keep you safe from the thunder.

July 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Cupcake, I think I might have to do my own praying. That praying mantis’s prayers didn’t work.

5. whatimeant2say

July 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I think those bugs are so fascinating! I hope all of his prayers get answered.

July 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Wonderbutt’s Person, I’m praying that those prayers get answered.

6. YouKai Shinigami

July 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I have heard having a praying mantis on you home means you are being blessed (not more insects around is a bless itself). So, you and your person are pretty lucky!
    Here, in my city, there is not this kind of mantis 😦

July 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

YouKai, this time of year we have praying mantises around our house every few days. And when they’re around we don’t have to worry about other bugs. They take care of them for us.

7. Patricia

July 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm

That’s a good bug–not only prays but gets rid of pesky little critters you don’t want in your garden.

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Patricia, they are good bugs to have around.

July 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm

They are so cool Bongo! They are good bugs and it can never hurt having lots of prayers…. now if I can get on to pray for Ginger to be good… LOL

July 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Collies, I don’t think their prayers work very well because we had more thunder today – so you’ll have to find someone else to pray for Ginger. Not me though. I like all Ginger’s suggestions.

9. Misty Shores Chesapeakes

July 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Bongo I hope you get a break from the thunder. The praying mantis looks pretty big.

July 24, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Misty Shores, those praying mantises are pretty big. I guess that’s because they eat so many smaller bugs. My person says I might get a thunder break for a few days. I sure hope so because we’ve been having a lot of it.

July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

It is obviously praying for thunders to go away! [I just realized where they get the name from, seeing this photo!] I will pray for you too, Bongo!

July 25, 2012 at 10:33 am

Thanks Marina. I can use all the prayers I can get. We get lots of thunder here this time of year.

July 25, 2012 at 6:17 am

Wow, you have a praying mantis at your house! Great! I’m sure that it prays for you to get rid of the thunder! That’s why you found him at the door! 🙂

July 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

Kevin, I think that praying mantis needs to pray harder, but maybe it’s praying to keep the thunder from coming into my house.

12. Shary Hover

July 25, 2012 at 7:58 am

I bought some praying mantis eggs for my garden last year. They are great at eating bad bugs. 🙂

July 25, 2012 at 10:43 am

Shary, praying mantises are really cool bugs. My person says sometimes when she’s gardening she sees little baby ones and she thinks they’re really cute.

13. Dianda

July 25, 2012 at 9:32 am

He’s praying for food!

July 25, 2012 at 10:43 am

Dianda, that must be what he’s praying for, because he didn’t do very good at getting rid of the thunder.

14. Chancy and Mumsy

July 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

That’s a good question sweet Bongo but since he is atop your door praying we can hope he is praying for lots of extra nice things to come your way. Hugs and nose kisses

July 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Chancy and Mumsy, at least I got an antler from Scratchy. That praying mantis must have been praying really hard for that.

July 26, 2012 at 11:48 am

Cool! Tall person found a tiny one on his arm the other day.

July 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Bassa, they’re one of the few insects that might make great pets.

• Bassas Blog

July 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm

They are cool and quite religious 🙂