Quail on the Trail

06 Aug

Baby Quail drawingI saw some again yesterday. It’s kind of a rare sight. They hide in the bushes and don’t come out. And when we come close, their parents make all kinds of noise and try to distract us and lead us in the wrong direction – away from them.

I don’t try to chase them. Well, I might, but I know I would get to the end of my leash and go boing – and that would be as far as I’d go. Kind of embarrassing. I wish my person would let go sometimes.

But they were out yesterday. I think we came around a corner and surprised them. They didn’t expect us to be there. And they ran. Right into the bushes.

My person says they’re cute. I don’t know what cute is, but some people say I’m cute. How can we both be cute? We don’t look anything alike.

Anyway, I think those baby quail are scaredy cats. Or maybe they’re scared of cats. And me – and my person. All they do is run away – and hide.

Come on, little quail. All I want to do is be friends. You’re safe with me. After all, you’d just be a mouth full of fluff. Yuck!

Monday Mischief Pet Blog Hop

Click here to find more mischievous pets.

This Blog Hop is brought to you by Alfie’s BlogSnoopy’s Dog BlogMy Brown Newfies and Luna, A Dog’s Life.

Posted by on August 6, 2012 in Bongo, dogs, humor

Tags: ,

37 responses to “Quail on the Trail

1. Misty Shores Chesapeakes

August 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Maybe the little quail will get braver if you stand very very still and make a noise like their parents 😉

August 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Misty Shores, I’ll have to practice making quail sounds. I’m not sure I can stand that still though.

August 6, 2012 at 10:52 am

there ain’t much meat on a baby quail..not really worth the effort of eating them

August 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Patreciau, I guess it would be like eating crunchy feathers.

• misswhiplash

August 7, 2012 at 12:49 am

yes i think it would..not appetising at all

August 6, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Quail are cute, Bongo. But very little – you are a giant to them. (and they haven’t hear many good stories of quail vs giants) Maybe you could tell them a gentle giant tale to win them over?

August 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Karen, I can’t get those quail to stick around long enough for me to tell them a story. Even the big ones run away.

4. Long Life Cats and Dogs

August 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm

We have the same things on our walks but with Guinea Fowl.

August 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Susan, I bet baby guinea fowl are cute too.

5. themisadventuresofmisaki

August 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve never seen a quail before, but from the picture they don’t look as cute as you!

August 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thanks Misaki. Baby quail are like little fuzz balls.

August 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm

People say I’m cute, too, and I don’t look like you OR the quail! Cuteness is weird, but I like it!

August 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Cupcake, I still haven’t figured out this cuteness thing. I guess it’s one of those strange people things – but it they give you loves because of it, it’s a good thing.

7. Jen

August 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I’m sure baby quail are pretty cute! There are different kinds of cute, you see.

Elka is fascinated by birds, and I think that she would be really really interested in quail chicks.

August 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Jen, I bet Elka would love chasing those quail chicks.

8. angelswhisper2011

August 7, 2012 at 12:18 am

Bongo, you both are cute, each in your own way. You’re not considering of eating them, are you? I mean, isn’t that something for cats?

August 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

Angels Whisper, my person says cats do go after those little quail. I really don’t think they’re worth it. I’ll let them run back into the bushes.

August 7, 2012 at 12:54 am

As Misty Shores says, you have to practice absolute stillness or learn another language… Cute by the way is just another synonym for Bongo but sometimes humans may use it for someone who may have your characteristics…

August 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

Marina, does that mean I should answer if someone says cute? I hope it means they’re giving me treats.

• marina kanavaki

August 8, 2012 at 12:13 am

Yes and YES!
        Have a long distance one from me now Cute!

August 8, 2012 at 12:15 am

Thanks Marina. It’s nummy!

August 7, 2012 at 7:12 am

Your person is right, quail is very cute but I think that you’re much cuter than quail, Bongo!
    Those quails maybe extraordinary shy so they can’t face your handsome face, Bongo! 🙂

August 7, 2012 at 11:38 am

Thanks Kevin. Maybe those quails think I’m like the cats who want to chomp them down.

11. snoopys@snoopysdogblog

August 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

Oh Bongo,

I really don’t think it would be a good idea to have a mouth full of fluff!! That’s coming from your very fluffy pal over here!! 🙂

And I agree with your Mom, it is possible for both of you to be super cute!! 🙂

Wags to all

Your pal Snoopy 🙂

August 7, 2012 at 11:39 am

Thanks Snoopy. You’re pretty cute too. And I sure wouldn’t want a mouthful of you – but I bet we could have great fun playing together.

12. Colby

August 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Linus does the same thing, but with squirrels! I bet he’d like a mouth full of fluffy quail too!

August 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Colby, I haven’t seen many of those pesky squirrels around here lately. They just hang out in the trees and chatter at me. At least the quail are on the ground most of the time.

13. Jessica

August 7, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I wonder why quails are so scared all the time? If only they took a few minutes to see what an awesome buddy you can be to them! 🙂
    By the way, thank you so much for the “like” on Facebook! You are much more computer-savy than I am!

August 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Jessica, those quails just don’t know what they’re missing.

14. monicastangledweb

August 8, 2012 at 5:17 am

Oh, what a precious sight to encounter, Bongo. You see so many delightful things on your trail. Lucky you!

August 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Monica, we’ve been seeing lots of baby quail the last few days, but by the time we see them they’re always running away from us.

15. tylersat99

August 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm

They are just too young and don’t know what you are Bongo, they don’t know how friendly you are so to be safe they have to go hide someplace safe.

August 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Lexie and Mica, I hope they decide to play with me someday – but so far, no luck. Even the big quail run away from me.

August 9, 2012 at 12:34 am

It looks like a drawing to me Bongo – are you sure they are real? 🙂

August 9, 2012 at 10:09 am

Bassa, every time we see baby quail they’re running away from us much too fast for my person’s camera. Sometimes, if I didn’t smell them I wouldn’t even believe my person when she says she sees them.

August 9, 2012 at 5:20 am

Ya know Bongo, perhaps you can bring some bird seed and feed them so when they see you they would be friendly….. Ginger says then they will grow up and become big tasty morsels… hehehe

August 9, 2012 at 10:18 am

Ginger, those big tasty morsels keep running away from me too. I’ll have to try the bird seed with them.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )