Climbing the Mountain

09 Dec
Moses shown the Promised Land

Moses shown the Promised Land (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Hey person, you’ve been telling me a lot of stories about Moses. Isn’t he getting kind of old by now?

No way! Moses was one hundred twenty years old? How old is that in dog years?

You just don’t want to do the math, do you?

I’m listening.

After Moses lifted up that bronze snake that healed the people who looked at it, he led the Israelites in a few more battles against nations that had come against them.

Did he give them what for?

I am listening. But did Moses give those nations what for?

Woo woo! My person says he did give them what for. But then God told Moses what? That he would be gathered to his people? What does that mean?

Oh. God told Moses he was going to die. That wasn’t a very nice thing to say to Moses.

Okay, I’ll listen but this is getting sad.

Moses appointed Joshua son of Nun to take his place as leader and lead the people into the Promised Land.

Then God told Moses to climb to the top of Mount Nebo where he could see all of the Promised Land. He told Moses that he would die on top of the mountain and be gathered to his people.

Why didn’t Moses just not climb the mountain then?

Moses was obedient to God? I’m not always obedient to you person. You aren’t going to make me climb up a mountain are you? I’m not going.

God told Moses he couldn’t go into the Promised Land because he had not upheld God’s holiness among the Israelites at the waters of Meribah Kadesh in the desert of Zin. That was when Moses struck the rock instead of speaking to it like God had told him to do.

I guess Moses didn’t want to disobey God twice, but that would be pretty scary climbing up that mountain.

After Moses saw the Promised Land from the top of the mountain he died. God buried him in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but nobody knows where the grave is.

And Joshua took over as leader of Israel and the Israelites had some awesome adventures.

I’m sticking with Joshua and maybe get to watch some walls fall over. I heard that Jericho doesn’t have a chance.

What? Oh yeah, it’s almost Christmas. It’s hard to remember that when we have sunshine instead of snow. What does that have to do with Joshua?

You mean I have to wait to hear stories about Joshua? That’s okay. I can’t wait for my treats and toys. I’ll have lots of stories about my new presents.

What do you mean, Christmas isn’t about snow, treats, or toys? What else is there?

Now I’m totally confused. You mean Christmas is about someone who had the same name as Joshua, but it was different? I don’t get it.

Oh, in English – you mean Doglish I’m sure – the names are different but they mean the same thing. I’m still confused.

You’re going to make me wait to find out? This is almost as hard as waiting for my presents.

***

P.S. A new friend, Molly the Wally, shared one of my posts today. You can check it out by clicking here.

Posted by on December 9, 2012 in Bongo, Dogology, humor

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Climbing the Mountain

December 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

oh, don’t listen Bongo… it’s all about giving!!!!
    …but some [like you] are the ones receiving!!!!!
    😆

December 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Marina, I’ll make sure I give lots of loves to anyone who gives me treats and toys.

• marina kanavaki

December 10, 2012 at 1:20 am

I know, I know sweet Bongo!
        🙂

2. Molly The Wally

December 10, 2012 at 2:44 am

I just posted some more comments for you Bongo. Please pop by as Madi was trying to hold of you. Also can you let me know your nomination for next week. Have a marvelous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

December 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thanks so much Molly. I popped by to leave a nomination and will be back later. My person says she’s been really busy the last couple days with Christmas stuff on top of her normal stuff and hasn’t had much time to play secretary for me. I hope she’s been shopping for my Christmas presents.

December 10, 2012 at 7:00 am

Oh no….Moses has passed away…..I think that Moses did a great job to lead people….* sniff *
    I now wonder why Joshua was chosen to replace as Moses???

December 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Kevin, my person says that Joshua was training under Moses since he was very young. He was obedient to God and also very courageous. But it’s sad that Moses passed away. All the people were sad too.

December 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

Ginger says Moses was 940 years in dog years…. she can do math too… We always felt bad that Moses didnt get to go to the promised land… what a shame….

December 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Ginger, I’m impressed by your math. It does seem sad that Moses didn’t get to go to the Promised Land, but actually he finally did get to – during Jesus’ transfiguration. Pretty cool, huh?

5. angelswhisper2011

December 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Bongo, that means that I have to wait too. Come on, together we can wait for the answer… I get treats anyway 🙂

December 17, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Angels Whisper, treats are the hardest to wait for. I think that’s why I steal Scratchy’s food when there’s no treats in sight.