The Bone Tree

17 Nov

Tree with the sun shining throughThere’s a special tree near the beginning of my trails. Well, actually there are two special trees.

One is the peanut tree.

That’s where those pesky squirrels keep all their peanuts until they get hungry for them. I’m just waiting to catch one of those pesky squirrels under there.

Squirrel in a tree

But that’s not the tree I’m talking about. The other special tree is the bone tree. I found it when my person wanted to go back by it to take pictures of some flowers. What a treat! There are bones everywhere under there.

But my person wouldn’t let me take any of them home with me.

And now she won’t even let me go back near that tree.

But something’s been happening lately. Some of those bones have been finding their way out near my trail.

I don’t know what dog in his right mind would put a bone there and just leave it. But that’s what happened.

But now I have a real dilemma.

My person won’t let me take the bones I find.

Maybe I can nonchalantly (did I say that word?) walk by that bone and quietly snatch it up as I keep walking along.

That didn’t work either. She made me drop it.

Come on, person. Let me have that bone!

Bongo trying to get a bone

I guess I’m one of those dogs I was talking about who’s not in his right mind.

No! No! Let me have the bone!

Click here for more great pet blogs.

Click here for more great pet blogs.

Posted by on November 17, 2012 in Bongo, dogs, humor

Tags: , , , ,

35 responses to “The Bone Tree

1. dogdaz

November 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Sorry Bongo, but your person is right and just trying to keep you safe and health. Maybe you can join Louise and Sofie in growing your own bone tree. http://dogdaz.com/?s=bone+tree

November 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Louise and Sofie, you’ve got a great idea. Maybe I can grow a bone tree in my yard.

November 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

What a bummer, B. Mom does the same thing to me when there are chicken bones out by the garbage dumpster. She’s all, “Leave it! Leave it! Leave it.!” No bones allowed.

November 17, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Cupcake, what’s a poor dog to do when we’re not allowed any bones. Guess I’ll have to go chew on my antler some more.

3. Patricia

November 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Bongo, peanuts, like pineapples, don’t grow on trees.

November 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Patricia, I think peanuts grow under trees though. At least that’s where all the peanuts are in that peanut tree.

4. Two French Bulldogs

November 17, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hi new friend, we are stopping by to say hi
    Snuggles,
    Benny & Lily

November 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hi Benny & Lily, nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by.

November 17, 2012 at 8:10 pm

OMD! Are they real bones? Some dogs have burried them for their next visit? Have you found out what bones are they? Very interesting!
    *whispers* I like those squirrels picture as they look very cute! Are they pesky? Cry a lot? I’ve never heard of their cry….

November 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Kevin, they are real bones. Maybe cow bones or something. I’m not sure who leaves them there, but they sure are fun to find. My person says she thinks the squirrels are cute too – but they are really pesky. They don’t cry – they make a chattering sound. And they like to chatter just to harass dogs and cats who are below them on the ground.

6. Kat n Collies

November 17, 2012 at 9:30 pm

We really wish we had one of those bone trees around here! All our trees are Maple, Elm or Pine trees!

November 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Kat n Collies, bone trees are extra special. I’ve got to convince my person to let me bring one of those bones home so I can plant a bone tree in my yard.

7. angelswhisper2011

November 18, 2012 at 1:32 am

Bongo, maybe they’re prehistoric bones of a dinosaur… or it’s just a petrified group of peanuts 🙂

November 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Angels Whisper, I think they could be dinosaur bones – but if they’re petrified peanuts I’m for sure getting after those pesky squirrels.

8. Dianda

November 18, 2012 at 4:57 am

Is that a real bone? 😮

November 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Dianda, it is a real bone – and there are lots more of them under that tree. Some are even bigger.

• Dianda

November 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

It’s a bit creepy those are real bones!

November 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Dianda, my person says the bones look like they came from a butcher originally. Not sure how they became part of my bone tree though.

9. Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom

November 18, 2012 at 5:36 am

Wow, a bone tree? We’ve never seen anything like that around here… we just have lots of trees with squirrels in them right now and plenty of time to stalk them!

November 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Emily I’m still trying to figure out how to get those squirrels out of the trees. Maybe if I hide out near their peanuts they’ll eventually come back for them.

November 18, 2012 at 7:24 am

It’s not so good to have someone else’s left over bones, what is a better idea is to get a nice juicy marrow bone from your local butcher…yummy yummy..taste much better than old goat bones

November 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Patreciau, that sounds like a great idea. I’m sending my person to visit the butcher right now.

November 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

Oh, Bongo… unfortunately your person is probably right, but you do have your antler back home, don’t you?! 🙂

November 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Marina, my antler is starting to get small. I hope I don’t have to wait all the way to Christmas for another one.

12. onebluedog

November 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I have never heard of a tree that makes bones before! This sounds like a wonderful thing! I am sorry your person will not let you have any of those tasty bones. I bet she has a good reason and you are a very good pup to listen so well 🙂

November 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Remy, I keep hoping when my person says “drop it” that it’s because she has something better for me. But for some reason when I dropped those bones that didn’t happen.

13. tylersat99

November 18, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Bone tree, real bones!! We didn’t know there was such a thing. We have looked at all the trees on our walks and never found a bone tree. Mom probably wouldn’t let us have them either but what a wonderful thing:-)))

November 19, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Lexie and Mica, this is the only bone tree I’ve ever found. I guess it must be pretty special. I keep hoping my person will let me bring just one of those bones home so I could plant it in my yard. Maybe I could grow another bone tree right in my front yard.

14. Dalton

November 19, 2012 at 3:37 am

WOW you live in the cooliest place, I wish I ad one!! But i is not allowed bones either, unless they are my delicious tasty bones http://www.waggfoods.com/products/UK/wagg-tasty-bones

November 19, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Dalton, those tasty bones really look yummy! I wouldn’t mind having to drop the bone tree bones so much if I got some of those tasty bones to replace them.

November 27, 2012 at 7:55 am

oooh… squirrels!!! WE are going to get the squirrel that lives here… Ginger is plotting now. We wonder if the squirrel put those bones there with ex-lax in them… your mom is a wise woman not to let you have those bones…

November 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

Collies, I never thought that that squirrel could have sabotaged those bones. Now I really want to give him what for. Ginger, when you get your squirrel could you come over here and help me get mine?